Monday, November 10, 2008

Lyoto Machida x Thiago Alves

Interesting article over at Tatame. These two who are facing each other in an upcoming UFC (not UFC 91), interviewed each other. The responses were level-headed and respectful.

You have your merits, if you were a bad athlete you wouldn’t be where you are. You’re a top level opponent… I wouldn’t say difficult, but a top level one. It’ll be a fight of unbeatable.
-- Thiago Alves


Lyoto sums up my opinion when he says:

I think the fight will be the synthesis of the modern MMA, will have everything: takedowns, striking and I think we’ll do everything that exists in MMA, and the fight might be a stand up one. I consider you a tough guy, but I think my technique is superior.
-- Lyoto Machida


They are both great strikers slash skilled grapplers who like to throw down on the feet. Lyoto is easily by far the more technical, deliberate, and strategic of the two. But Alves is "technical enough," which combined with his aggression makes this a hard fight to predict. My gut says Lyoto by decision. But gambling on this match would be a gamble in the fullest sense of the word. If I had to put money on it, I would drop a few bucks on whoever is the underdog. But I wouldn't count on a payoff. Lol. Great matchup, should be a great fight.


Thiago Alves HL by SakuZombie



Lyoto Machida HL by thedrinkableone

No comments: