Sunday, May 10, 2009

Star Trek 2009

I never got into Star Trek, though I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it had something to do with the 1-hr commitment needed to watch each episode. That may have been part of it, but there must be more. I've always enjoyed getting lost in a good story, regardless of time commitment.



Maybe it was because Star Trek was always low on action and special fx, and what little there was was always cheesy. Also, dialogue far exceeded action. Not that I dislike dialogue. In fact, I've always loved good dialogue. Similarly, cheese can be good. But it's the action that would have drawn me in to anything sci-fi: lasers, gadgets, creatures, missions, wars, stuff like that.



Truth be told, it's probably all of the above and more. But who cares.

What's important is Star Trek XI is fucking cool. I was able to follow despite my limited Star Trek knowledge. I learned some cool shit about the characters and some of their origins. For example, I didn't know Spock was half human. I also saw that the cadets that went on to become the original crew were baptized by fire. This movie made me an instant fan of all The Original Series (TOS) stuff I had always missed out on. Though admittedly, I wouldn't know if anything was inconsistent with the TV storyline since I'm not familiar with it, for one, and for another, there was the whole time travelling alternate realities thing going on.







Star Trek 2009: Good stuff.

No comments: